The Dominica Prison was constructed in October 1954 at its present site to accommodate eighty-four (84) inmates. At that time, persons who were sent to prison came from the lower strata of society, the majority of whom were illiterate. There were no provisions made for white colour crimes. The structures were basic and did not have the provisions as enshrined in the prison regulations then and now.
For the past few years, the department developed and operated a system of functional heads and gave Principal Prison Officers various responsibilities and tasks but some of the heads were not assigned staff to achieve the tasks and responsibilities they were assigned to.